My Christmas Adventure

As you well know, most Christmas blogs or stories involve the horrible shopping traffic, not being able to find a parking spot at the mall, or being mobbed AT the mall.  I have no such interesting stores involving that.  In fact, my holiday shopping included nothing more exciting than a bunch of stingey folks that would let me turn left out of the parking lot at Barne’s and Noble’s.  My REAL Christmas story began today, Christmas Eve (although, I AM writing this after midnight, so it is, in fact, Christmas morning as I type away) as I had promised my youngest brother, Benson, that I would take him out to deliver Christmas presents to his friends.  I also had a few gifts to deliver as well, so it was all good. 

After an eventful morning/afternoon of grandparents coming as I was in the process of getting ready, we finally manage to drag ourselves away from the house around three, at which time the Christmas Eve blizzard we had been expecting for weeks was at full force.  Luckilly, the first house was on a street which I knew, but Benson really had no idea where his friend’s house actually WAS.  He knew that it was a few houses down from ANOTHER one of his friend’s house, but, no address. We eventually gave up on that one after making about three U-turns — The first of many, many more.

So, his next friend, Alex, lived in Hooper (pronounce Huper, kind of like the “oo” in “foot”– Say it right or don’t say it at all!), which was only a few cities away, but seemed like states in the blizzard we were driving in because me being the safe, cautious, considerate, careful-with-a-kid-in-the-car driver I am (I am NOT inexperienced!! O_O) I was driving VERY CAREFULLY!! Every time I would stop, the car would do this little wiggle thing, like it was happy that it was snowing so prettilly, but to be honest, it really scared the living daylights out of me.

Anyway, to make a long story short HERE, turns out there are TWO roads named 6150 in Hooper, and we went to the WRONG ONE.  We were wandering around there like idiots, I probably made about 10 U-turns in that HOUR AND A HALF that we were driving around like lost puppydogs chasing their tails.  Benson called his friend, had his friend go out and stand in the middle of the road, and FINALLY, he handed the phone over to me so I could talk to his mother and get better directions. Which didn’t help.  She finally came out to the main road in her big white van where we found her and followed her to their house.  But we got that gift delivered!! We did it!  I was very proud of myself.  Or something.

Anyway, after that “little” trip, I was finally able to go and deliver MY presents.  by now, it was about… 5:30.  Where did the day go?

By now, the snow was about 6 or 7 inches deep, and very pretty.  Luckilly, the falling snow had begun to subside to leave a lovely blanket white snow.  I delivered my gift to Austin with no real ill feelings towards getting to his house (which is VERY well-lit with countless Christmas lights), and reached Mitch’s house with no difficulties.  I delivered my gift, we agreed on going to sushi in Logan on Friday, and I got back in the car and prepared to leave.

Now, Mitch has a very convenient backyard.  His house has a driveway on either side of the house, and both connect in the backyard, which is kind of like more driveway in front of his family’s barn.  They do, though, have grass in their backyard which is VERY difficult to see the border of (actually, impossible) when everything is covered by a lovely blanket of snow.  So, my plan was to go around the back of his house and exit through the opposite driveway to avoid any more U-turns, which I had made plenty of during the previous two hours or so.  Sadly, the other driveway was occupied by two other cars which I had not previously seen, and saw after I had already started turning into it.  So, I started to back up, only to discover that the wheels were slipping and would not budge.  I tried to get the wheels to catch, but to no avail.  I finally called Mitch and begged him to come out and help me push my car.

But alas, merely trying to push the car would be much too difficult.  This horrible situation called for the big guns.  So, Mitch’s father lugged out the (rather large) tractor and hooked it up the the back of my car to pull me out of where I had obviously driven right onto their lawn, and probably made a horrible mess of it, as well.  All the while I was holding my head in my hands laughing at this horribly stupid thing I had done and apologizing over and over for messing up their beautiful snow and making myself look like an idiot and making them come out in the cold and making them go to all this trouble to move my stupid car out of the stupid snow… etc. etc. etc.  You get my drift.  So, they pulled my car out, put the tractor back, and waved goodbye.  Mitch did not disagree when I said what a lapse of judgment had gone through my head when I made the decision to take the path I did.

And then, although I had two more presents to deliver, I gave up on being Santa’s little helper and went home and shovelled my driveway as penance for my lawn-ruining sin.

I now have less of a respect for Santa on his big delivery night.  HE gets to fly around and avoid getting stuck in the snow.  He should try driving MY car one year, see if he’ll still be a jolly old fat man.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: